Friday, July 25, 2008

New Zeland Judge Changes Child's Name

Because my first name is different but not totally strange it gets mispronounced sometimes. Some people get it and others just call me what is familiar to them.

My first name is Kelvin. Not Calvin, or Kevin, but it is OK if you call me either one. I joke that as long as you don't call me late for dinner, it is OK. I have always loved my name, but I wonder about people who have names that they do not like. I think that is why I am fascinated with what parents name their babies.

This story of a Judge in New Zealand who made a 9-year-old girl a ward of the court so that her name could be changed caught my eye. At first I thought that no Judge should do that, but after reading the article I understood why a judge might do that. You can read the full story here. I agree, "Talula Does The Hula", won't do.

No comments: